• Home
  • Election Day Frequently Asked Questions

Election Day Frequently Asked Questions

Here are some quick details to help you prepare to cast your vote:

Find your polling place in LA County or outside LA County.

If you vote by mail and have not returned your ballot, you must bring it to any polling place in your county before polls close at 8:00 PM.

If you experience any problems at your polling place call the national voter protection hotline at 866-OUR-VOTE.

What are the hours of my polling place and what do I do if I am in line when the polls close?

Your polling place should be open from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. If you cannot go to your polling place, you can vote using a provisional ballot at any polling place in your county of residence.

What should I do if I am in line when the polls close?

Every voter who is in line by 8:00 p.m. at a polling place must be allowed to vote.

How do I find my polling place?

If you no longer have your sample ballot, which lists your voting location, you can find your polling place in LA County or outside LA County.

Do I need an ID to vote?

If you are asked to show ID and you have it with you, you should do so. However, if you do not have ID, you can always vote with a provisional ballot.

Most voters do not need to show any ID to vote. A first-time voter, who registered by mail and did not provide his/her driver license, California ID number or the last four digits of his/her social security number on the registration form, may be asked to show an acceptable form of ID. The following are acceptable forms of ID: (1) a copy of a recent utility bill; (2) the sample ballot booklet received from the County elections office; (3) a passport; (4) a drivers license; (5) an official state ID card; or (6) a student ID showing his/her name and a photograph.

Can I still mail in my vote-by-mail ballot?

We recommend all vote-by-mail ballots be sent by the Thursday before the election. After that, you need to return your ballot in person. You can drop off your ballot at the Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder/ County Clerk Office at 12400 Imperial Hwy. Norwalk, CA or to any precinct worker at a polling place within your county of residence. Ballots received after 8 p.m. on Election Day cannot be counted regardless of postmarks.

Can I give my voted vote-by-mail ballot to someone else to return for me?

If you are ill or have a physical disability, you may designate a spouse, child, parent, grandparent, grandchild, brother, sister or a person residing in the same household as the vote-by-mail-voter to return your voted ballot for you. Your designated person may return it in person to the election office or to a polling place in your county. The voter must sign and date the envelope containing the ballot to certify their consent.

What should I do if I have to work on Election Day?

You are entitled by law to take up to two hours off work to vote without loss of pay by giving your employer previous notice.

What if someone challenges my right to vote based upon my citizenship, residence or identity?

The only person who can challenge your right to vote is an official County or City precinct worker. Intimidating voters is against the law. Please report any incident like this to official precinct workers.

What should I do if I need a non-English ballot?

You can ask for a ballot in your language. If not available, there may be a posted translation. A non-native English speaker may also request assistance from a precinct worker.

What should I do if I need help voting because of a disability?

If you can’t read or write, or have a physical disability, you can ask for assistance.

What should I do if my polling place is inaccessible because I have a physical disability?

You can have a precinct worker come outside the polling place and allow you to vote there.

Can I take my children with me to vote?

You can bring your children under 18 into the voting booth with you.

What should I do if I make a mistake on my ballot?

If you make a mistake, you have the right to twice receive a replacement ballot.

What should I do if I want to vote, but recently lost my home due to the foreclosure crisis?

You can use your prior permanent residence, where you were registered to vote, as your address for the purpose of voting.

How do I report problems at my polling place, such as voter intimidation, long lines or unresponsive precinct workers?

You should immediately call the national voter protection hotline at 866-OUR-VOTE.

Background on Provisional Ballots

If there is ever a question about your right to vote, you can always vote by provisional ballot. A provisional ballot is the same as a regular ballot, but it won’t be counted until county officials are able to confirm your registration information after the election.

In some cases, documentation of your residence address may be required.

You should vote a provisional ballot IF:

  • Election officials can’t confirm your registration.
  • You received a vote-by-mail ballot but never returned it.
  • Records show that you have moved.
  • It appears that you have already voted.
  • You are voting at a polling place outside your home precinct.